Sunday, August 30, 2009

Travel time...recalculated.

When you travel with a baby, not only should you expect to haul a lot more with you, but you should also keep in mind that your time spent traveling to your desired destination will take approximately 25% longer (to account for the number of times you stop to check diapers, do feedings, and just to make sure his head isn't flopped over and is suffocating to death out of sheer paranoia).

Our trip to Hamlin went well though. It really wasn't that bad traveling with him - he slept the whole way down and the whole way back. While we were there (for 4 hours), Xave managed to go through about 12 diapers, 5 outfits, half a case of wipes, spit up on my shirt, and pooped on my white pants. On our way back, I couldn't get out of the car, since said poop was right in my crotch area - it look like I peed myself. How is it that even after I read a million suggestions that all mothers should have an extra set of clothes on them, I still neglect to do this? (To be honest, there still isn't an extra set of clothes in the car...I need to fix that.)

Xave still continues to sleeps well, but I'm noticing he's starting to get a little clingy. He'll fall asleep after a feeding, and when I try to lay him down in his bed, he'll wake and cry, only to be soothed again when I pick him up. I can't help it though - whenever he cries I immediately want to go hold him and soothe him. I kind of like it honestly, but since I am still enrolled in course work here at WVU, I'm attempting now to give him a pacifier when he does this, which most of the time he'll take. Writing my paper just wasn't working out when he had to be held constantly.

Breastfeeding is still going smoothly also, with the exception (and I never would have thought this) that Xavier is becoming a messier eater as he gets older. At one week, he'd be content to just feed until he was done, I (or The Husband) would give him a good burp, and we'd be good to go. Now, it's more like feed for five minutes, OOH WHAT'S THAT?! (usually my hair), then back to OMG WHERE DID MY FOOD GO?! I'M HUNGRY! (Keep in mind, that when he's gazing at my hair, or the far off light, both of us get messy.)

Funny thing is, I don't really mind these bumps in the road, because I know I'm going to miss them.

I suppose though, by the time I do miss them though, I'll just have to have another baby. :p

2 comments:

~Joseph the Worker said...

Try feeding with the cover on so he can't see anything and might not be distracted.

Laura said...

12 Diapers in 4 hours!! Holy Cow! Hopefully things will go smoother as you guys get more used to each other. Hopefully soon I will be sharing all my baby stories!