Saturday, August 1, 2009

Yes, it's pretty much the only thing we do...

After a day of pretty much nothing we decided that since it was Friday night, we'd go out for a nice dinner. We decided to go to Julio's a FANTASTIC restaurant in Clarksburg. Although it was only the third time we'd been there, the owner (who is also the waitress, and who's husband is the cook) recognizes us and is always exceedingly friendly (but not uncomfortably so).

The first time we went was back in May (the 18th actually...I love how I can use Facebook to keep track of my past!). It's a funny story really - my husband and I were going to go to Phillips, a small family owned Italian restaurant (that ran about $16 a head) since we were in the area making a return to ToysRUs. We didn't realize, however, that they were closed on Monday's. Across the street, was a sign for Phillips, and I had heard from my parents that the food there was very good. Never people to decide to turn around and go home after wanting to eat out, we parked and stepped in.

A few things to note here. 1) Since we had just been merely running around, we were dressed very casually. In fact, my husband was wearing a Spider-Man t-shirt and jeans, while I had on a tank top and a jean skirt I believe. 2) The outside of the building looked nothing special - in fact, had I not known, I would have thought the place to be abandoned.

So, we walked in, and were seated. Shock number one was that the other patrons of the resturaunt were dressed in suits. Shock number two (the big one) was that their entire menu was verbal.

Our expierence there was fantastic though - we were not treated badly because we were not dressed appropriately (which would happen in Morgantown) and we had an increadibly good meal. The waitress/owner even talked to us after the meal about good resturaunts in Morgantown (she had been to most of our suggestions), and we eventually reffered her to go to Chez Gerard in Hopwood, PA.

We went back again in July (the 11th) with our parents and had an exceedingly good time.

Our dinner tonight was again, wonderful. They were packed full (Friday seems to be their busiest night) and they were "slow". I say "slow" because when my husband and I go out for a nice meal, we want it to take a long time - that's part of what you're paying for, right? After all was said and done our 4 course meal took 3 hours from start to finish, but we enjoyed every minute of it. I think the owner was a little concerned (plus she's just SO NICE) and gave us our appetizer, a glass of wine, and a quart of their pasta sauce on the house. We didn't complain, in fact every time we go we always talk about how well paced the meal is! It's just good service I think - something I've become very unaccustomed to.

The thing is, the people who run Julio's care about their business, and it shows both in their service and food.

3 comments:

Jo said...

sounds like an all around good experience

can't beat free food, but I have to disagree about paying to wait 3 hours is a little long
but if it works for you


check out my blog

sarahbais said...

We weren't waiting for 3 hours on our food, rather, the entire meal was spread out very slowly.

I think that there are times where this wouldn't be practical, yes, but it's amazing how much more food you can eat when it's spread out over time instead of coming all at once! :)

Laura said...

I love a nice long meal with lots of yummy food and good company... it's one of my favorite things! Even better when I'm not preggo and can enjoy some wine with it as well :)