Our first full day (well, an hour and a half short) with Xavier has been wonderful. The husband is holding him now, and the nursery nurse is about to come in and take him to the floors nursery any second now.
So far, breastfeeding is going well eventhough I have no milk yet. Xavier latched on immediately last night and has continued to latch very well. The only hurdle so far is when he's very tired, he just has zero interest in eating. The floor nurses said this was normal, and it would probably be drastically different by tomorrow, when I still have no milk but he starts to get very hungry. He'll be fine though, since the colostrum has such a higher calorie content...his tummy just won't feel full.
I'm looking at getting discharged Sunday morning. We have the option of leaving Saturday night, but I figure one more night to have Xavier in a hospital facility is the better choice of the two. Plus, this will allow us to have the morning to go home and get adjusted, rather than be tired in the evening.
The husband is very tired since he's been running on 3 hours sleep. While he is a remarkable natural dad, I have to admit that I'm not surprised. The husband has always had exceedingly strong paternal traits when I saw him around kids - I never had any doubts that he was going to be an amazing father, and nothing so far has done anything to change that.
He cheerleaded me on in the delivery room, and his support has continued throughout the day, and I have no reason to think it'll ever stop. I love my husband very much, and I don't think I can ever express how greatful I am to him.
I almost forgot to mention in my last post, that I actually managed to keep my dignity about me in the delivery room. What that sentance really translates into is that I neither pooped nor threw up the entire time. (Just one of the thirty different things that I'm greatful didn't happen.)
One more thing - The hospital provided for us what was called a "Stork Dinner" and it consisted of Shrimp Cocktail, Salad, Grapes, Ribeye Steak, Baked Potato, Green Beans, and Strawberry Cheesecake. They gave us iced tea, coffee, and a bottle of sparkling cider to drink. They rolled it in on a nicely set up table, and my mother and grandmother took the baby and my husband and I enjoyed a quiet dinner alone. It was very sweet~
1 comment:
Wow I can't believe how smoothly your delivery went!! I hope mine goes that well! I am going to try to go all natural.. but we'll see. I can't wait to see pictures, the cell phone ones you uploaded on facebook were so cute. He's got your eyes!!
Post a Comment