Monday, August 3, 2009

I have a confession...

I can't boil an egg.

More specifically, I can't soft boil an egg. They're always too hard for my taste, or still runny and impossible to deshell. Then again, it doesn't help that I have very particular requirements for the "perfect" boiled egg - all the albumen must be firm, while the yolk must still be runny.

Enter the Eggsact, a (supposedly) handy little unitasker (have I mentioned my love for Alton Brown before?) that's supposed to let you know when your egg is done to whatever liking.

This morning I cooked a little of the bacon we bought at Wholey's - delicious as expected. I opted to go the (slightly) healthier route and not fry my eggs in the bacon fat (but it was quite tempting), but rather boiled myself two eggs. I popped the Eggsact out of it's package and threw it in my pot of water with my eggs, hoping for the best! After all, the idea seemed ingenious to me - but you know what they say about when things sound too good to be true.

My water was at a rolling boil for quite sometime beore the color began to change, so that was my first red alarm. My second complaint was that it was very difficult to read under boiling water, but for the most part I could make out where the color was changing at what notch - it was just inconvienent.

When it was a quarter of a notch passed "Soft" (and already 8 minutes had passed), I pulled the pot from the flame, and drained the water. Immediately, I could tell from picking up the egg that it was too firm, and the eggshell came off far too easily.

The eggs weren't "hard boiled" persay, but the yolk was definately spongy (but dark from moisture) all the way through. They were eadible (of course crumbling bacon on top helped) but far from what I wanted and far from a quarter passed soft.

Now when I picked up this little dodad (a while ago) I didn't have Blackberry webservice to read reviews on it (because if you read the Amazon reviews, they say it makes great hardboiled eggs, but isn't good for softboiling). This is how I will always justify paying $40 a month for Internet on my phone - it saves me from stupid purchases.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Girl what are you doing eating runny egg yolk while you are pregnant. You can get salmonella poisoning.... which is pretty hard to deal with while pregnant. Ofcourse there's lots of stuff they say you can't eat and most likely you will be fine... better safe then sorry is my motto though. Oh and I made your sausage gravy on Saturday morning (I had only made gravy with bacon grease before), it was so yummy... my hubby loved it!

sarahbais said...

Wow, I've never had bacon gravy!! I'll have to try it! I'm glad you and your husband liked the sausage gravy!!

As far as runny egg yolk, I guess to be honest I never really thought of it - I DID have the stomach flu when I was first pregnant (it started on Christmas and then went in to full blown whoppin' gross). To be honest, I was SO happy to have it, because initially I thought it was just morning sickness (or rather, constant sickness), so knowing that I was going to get better was a relief!

We've only got a little while longer...ugh, I'm not sure if my patience can take it!

Ranae W. said...

i will definately be getting one of those timers! i can NOT hard boil an egg to save my life!