Friday, July 31, 2009

On an (egg) roll!

So, I decided to make egg rolls today. (By the way, I've been taking the lazy girl way out of making things lately...as you'll see.)

First, I took a bag of slaw mix (cabbage and carrots), some diced onion, and two packs of frozen salad shrimp, and sauteed it in a wok with about 2 tbs of hot sesame oil.

Then, I lined a plastic bowl with paper towels, tossed the filling in, and covered it with more paper towels. This was to absorb the moisture and make the filling more dry, so the egg rolls didn't come out exceedingly soggy and limp.

After the filling cooled, I got out my egg roll wrappers, and proceeded to wrap them up.

It was very simple...just four major folds, and I used some water and my finger to seal the dough up at the end.

I shallow pan fried one (since I don't own a deep fryer) and it came out pretty good. I did make a mental note that next time I need to add garlic (I ment to, but I forgot!).

Other than that, it's been a pretty lazy day around our home. My husband isn't feeling well (maybe something he ate?) and making these egg rolls has been the height of my productivity so far...

I did manage to go shopping today! First, is this top, and although their model is "pregnant" is actually a nursing hoodie. It looked too cozy and comfy to pass up...it looks like something I'll get a lot of wear out of. Second, I picked up this jacket in black...I'd been looking for a hooded raincoat type thing for a while, and this one managed to meet all of my stipulations (neutral color, belted waist, hood, pockets, weather resistant)...the fact that it came in petite sizes was a major bonus too!!

By the way, what did people do before internet retail?? I get to sit here on my exercise ball in my pajamas and spend money! There is absolutely no way I'd be able to actually go shopping...my sciatica is still being a pain in the rear (little pun there...har har).

No comments: