Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Back to being a Housewife...Day 1!

A long long time ago...I was a housewife. It subsequently made me reclusive and depressed. However, back then, I lived in a tiny one bedroom apartment, with only myself and the Internet to keep me company. My location was also more remote, and most of my friends were either working jobs or in classes and therefore too busy to go shopping on a random Tuesday afternoon. It also didn't help that I was in a very Fundamentalist Protestant denomination that basically said "women should stay at home, cook and clean, and keep their mouths shut", which, if you know me, is quite different from my very headstrong and (sometimes) dominating personality.

This time, I'm sure will be different. To begin with, I'm about a 15 minute walk from downtown, I now have a house, I have a wonderful dog to keep me company, and soon a baby boy to take care of. Additionally, I'll have purpose outside of my nuclear family in that my office is only a click or phone call away if I need to do some work...plus, if I just need to get out, my husband can come home and handle it.

My husband's job is a flexible one, and he's reiterated to me that should I need to just get out of the house, that he's just a phone call (or text message most likely) away. If I need to leave and take a breather, I can. Just knowing that my husband is that accommodating is such a relief to me. (It's interesting though, because if the tables were turned, he would LOVE to be a house husband and me be the working stiff...maybe someday...haha!)

Today was day one, which granted is a honeymooning period. I finally put the linens on the crib, did baby's first load of laundry, fixed dinner, and tied up a few loose ends on bills and things. All was good.

I think staying at home with my kids is what I would ideally like to do, but I also know (due to my personality) that I'm going to need another sense of drive and purpose outside of that. You know, one just for yourself.

This fall, along with the arrival of Xavier Thomas, I will be taking an Advertising course (online), plus I'll still have my graphic design job with my two different employers. I think this will keep me plenty occupied. I don't want to say "busy" because of course I will be busy with the baby...but I believe I'll want a purpose other than being a Stepford Wife.

Hm...this post is all over the place...let me try to sum it up:
  1. I think staying at home with your kids is excellent.
  2. I think having a job outside of your nuclear family can be important depending on your personality.
  3. I am in the beautiful situation that I'm going to be able to do both.
I feel very happy and content.

I'm SO excited!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I am so jealous... I would love to work from home full time! Hopefully I will atleast be able to do it part time. I will get 12 weeks maternity leave though. I have been working hard to get everything ready at home for the baby. Everything has been washed... and set up. I just need the baby!!

sarahbais said...

Yeah, I'm rooting for you to be able to do it at least part time! Good luck!

Everything is washed here (my husband made the remark when he was getting the baby clothes from the dryer that it felt odd that Xavier wasn't here yet) but I still have a shelf or two I want to put up.

We still need to put the car seat in too...but it's raining today so I guess it'll have to wait.

By the way, did you get any swaddlers like these (http://www.gomamagodesigns.com/snug-tug.html?limit=all)? My friend who just had a baby says they are a blessing and calm her baby down so well! Just thought I'd pass that along...

I want my baby NOW...lol Everything is ready...so ready to get the birth thing done and over with~