Thursday, July 16, 2009

Evening Zero

So, I am naming today Day Zero, because it really wasn't supposed to happen (as I mentioned earlier).

In search of food, we walked downtown (which we are getting to know pretty well now!) and eventually (after much mulling) decided on Ali Baba's, a Middle Eastern Restaurant.

My husband ordered Shiek El-Mahshi (roasted eggplant, stuffed with seasoned ground lamb meat and onions, and topped with tomato sauce, served with a tossed salad) and I had the Ali Baba's Shish Kebab Platter (a compartment dish consisting of hummus, tossed salad, rice with pignola nuts, and topped with a skewer of tender lamb shish kebab). The Tossed Salad was made with fresh lettuce and tomato, and the dressing had lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano, and salt, topped with fresh feta cheese. We were also served fresh (warm) Pita Bread.

The food was delicious (as I hope our pictures convey), and in particular, the tossed salad's dressing was light but aromatic, with the fresh feta adding a sweet flavor in contrast to the more bright tones of the fresh oregano. My Shish Kebab had a nice salty char on the outside, but remained a very tender and juicy interior.

I look very worried here...I'm not sure why?

Soooo excited to eat!

The Husband's Food

My food (and enormous belly in the background).

On our walk back to our hotel, I stopped by Dave & Andy's Homemade Ice Cream and grabbed a homemade wafflecone stuffed with Cookies and Cream Ice Cream...

My husband decided for a slightly different type of dessert...one that I'm not able to indulge in at the moment...

Nothing too crazy - just a Wild Turkey and Coke.

Tomorrow our train leaves at 7:20 am...I wonder what it'll be like?

1 comment:

Laura said...

Mmmmm now you've made me hungry!