Of course, it was due to the fact that I fixed sausage biscuits and gravy:
I don't fix it very often, and I was at least smart enough to cut the roll of sausage in half so I didn't over portion (and honestly, there was still too much for either of us to eat).
I did cheat, and use Pillsbury biscuits...you know, the ones that go "POP!" when you open them? Had the husband do that...it always about gives me a heart attack when I do it.
The recipe I use is a fairly simple one, and one slightly modified from my Grandmother's cooking.
Sausage Gravy and BiscuitsThe only thing (I believe) I do differently from my Grandmother's tried and true recipe is that I brown the flour first. I find that by doing this, you eliminate lumps forming at all (although, she never had that problem, I consistently do?) plus, it makes the sausage "crunchy" which compliments bits of biscuit crumbled up well in the gravy.
Yields: 3 Servings
1/2 Roll of Country Sausage
1/2 Can of Pillsbury Biscuits
Flour
Milk
Salt & Pepper
1. Pre-heat oven, and prep biscuits as package details.
2. Start biscuits.
3. In a frying pan, begin to break up and brown the country sausage on medium heat.
4. After sausage begins to brown, gradually add flour to coat sausage. Do not turn sausage too much, as you want the flour to coat the meat, brown, and get crispy.
5. When there are aproximately 5 minutes left on the timer until biscuits are done, add milk slowly, and turn heat under skillet to high.
6. Allow gravy to come to a boil, and then lower heat to warm.
7. Add salt & pepper to taste.
Making sausage gravy always reminds me of spending time at my Grandparent's house...Ironically though, I used to detest this breakfast. My Grandmother (who spoiled me to no end) when fixing sausage gravy, would usually fix me a breakfast of bacon and eggs...Talk about hard work! Looking back on it, I have no idea how she had the patience to cook two separate breakfasts, watch my brother and I, and do all the dishes herself...
I have a lot to owe to my Grandmother. She taught me how to cook (country style), and attempted to teach me to sew (I'm just too lazy to do it). Granted, I can basically sew, but she makes beautiful hand sewn quilts with applique and all sorts of fancy embellishments. Very patient.
I wonder why I didn't get any patience? My grandmother, mother, and father OOZE patience. I'm such a "Let's do it NOW" spontaneous impromptu individual...
Baby doctor appointment today...just a check up...only 23 more days!!!
2 comments:
That is so funny... I ALWAYS make my husband open the biscuits too... or any container that opens like that. It gets me every time!! I just can't handle it. That looks so good though.. I am a sucker for biscuits and gravy. Although, I don't let myself eat it very often... it is a rare treat though when I get it. Yum!
Yeah, if I ate biscuits and gravy all the time I'd be my pregnancy size normally!
My boss at work was joking with me and said "Sarah, you really don't look that big...think of it this way, you're the size of the average West Virginian!" (This boss, by the way, does a lot of research and policy analysis on walkability, obesity rates, and downtown communities...)
I really never ever want to be this large normally...it's so hard to function!
Post a Comment