So, Internet Access at our hotel isn't cheap - $4 bucks every 2 hours at a given time...thus, I have to (unfortunately) report considerably less than I had originally intend.
Our train actually left early yesterday morning (around 7:15am instead of 7:20). I can't tell you how much I enjoyed traveling in this way! You have about twice as much space compared to airplane rides, nor the rigmarole of security. There is no worry about traffic, which exit to get off of, or what lane to be in. You arrive at the train station, get on the train, and go. I could get up and move about freely, go grab some food (and/or beer if I wasn't pregnant), and each train car had a restroom (very important right now...). No complaints. This is the way I will travel about the country from now on. It was SO easy and SO comfortable.
I have to admit, I thought that I would find New York City suffocating, and, while it is very large I don't feel swallowed up in it or paranoid.
We checked into our hotel, and our room (especially for the price) was very nice. It is a little on the small side, but it is clean. Besides, since we are on vacation, why do we need a large hotel anyway? We did not come all the way here to live in our hotel! Also, after spending one night, my husband and I can both attest that it is NOT noisy at all - a major advantage considering we are in the middle of the city. We both slept very well. The staff here is very friendly. My only complaint is the lack of free wi-fi, but I'll just consider that to be part of the hotel cost, not to mention perhaps it'll make me less prone to want to laze in the hotel room...
Our first meal out was at Don's BOGAM, a Korean Barbeque, that was just down the street. I had read some amazing reviews prior to and was very exicted to try it!! My husband had already gotten to eat Korean BBQ in Japan (where it is known as Yakiniku) but around where we live, there are no resturaunts that do the traditional style, where you cook your meat at your own table.
Originally, we had a (very nice) waiter who was coming over and placing the meat on, and turning it for us. I asked him if we could do it ourselves, and he deemed that this was fine. (In Korea and Japan you always do it yourself - I'm not sure if in the United States it is a health regulation or they know that Americans are lazy and want things done for them?)
We ordered the Marinated Beef Platter for Two which included marinated short ribs in a spicy sauce, marinated sirloin, and marinated short ribs with mushrooms. It was delicious!! The variety of flavors we were able to try were astounding, considering the multiple side dishes and sauces that came with it.
We walked around a lot yesterday, and in the evening, we stopped by a close by bar called Ayza. I was not very impressed with this place - I had their 21 Layer Crepe Cake, and my husband got a flight of reds. Food and atmosphere was mediocre at best. It was a lot of fun that when we arrived, it was clouding up, during our time there it poured the rain down (we were outside under our table's umbrella), and by the time we were ready to leave, the rain had stopped.
Today, we got our Metro Cards and trekked around the city. We went to Katz's Deli (by recommendation from a friend who used to live here) first, and got amazing sandwhiches. I ordered a corned beef sandwhich on rye, while my husband got the pastrami on rye. Our sandwhiches came with fresh pickles as well. It was quite delicious and I'm sure we paid in calories. (Ordering was also very interesting, as you walked in, were given a ticket, then went to the deli counter and ordered (and you had better order PROMPTLY). You give your order, and they slice off some meat for you to taste while they make your sandwhich. Then, they take your ticket and write down what you ate. After you are finished eating, you walk to the pay counter and they ring you up.)
We stopped by Strand Bookstore, and picked up a few good finds. You can't keep my husband or I away from a good used bookstore.
After eating, we roamed the city some more (which included seeing Macy's and the Toy's R Us), and then stopped at Max Brenner: Chocolate by the Bald Man - a chocolate bar. We ordered the Tasting Fondue and enjoyed it tremendously.
More walking, more subway, and more sightseeing.
On our way to a little French resturaunt called 26 Seats now.
So far it's been a wonderful trip full of FABULOUS food. :)
(No pictures at the moment - sorry guys, no time. Our reservation at 26 Seats is for 6:30, and I want to make sure we are on time!)
1 comment:
Sounds like you are having a great time so far. Can't wait to see pictures!
Post a Comment