Tuesday, September 22, 2009
Humidity.
I have always hated humidity. HATED. My feelings have not changed. Allow me to elaborate.
Xave and I went downtown again today, and there is a significant difference between walking downtown 8 months pregnant, and not pregnant with a large jogging stroller. For one, although walking up hills was not enjoyable with an enormous belly, it was not nearly the trial of pushing a 30 lb stroller up a hill after your calf muscles are not nearly what they were 10 months prior. Add in some heavy humidity, breasts that feel like they might smother your own face (let alone your child's), and hills that feel like if they were any steeper they would have mountain goat rentals for transportation and it can be a pretty trying experience. Opening doors is also quite a feat I have yet to master - I'm thinking the skill of opening a door while simultaneously wheeling a stroller into said door will take a bit of practice to master. However, it should be noted that a gigantic belly does not have space to put the wine you purchased nor a cup holder or your double latte with a splash of orgeat syrup. So, there are some trade offs to be considered.
This past Sunday, when I went downtown to go to Mass, I carried Xave in a front carrier. This went well, except for the fact that the term "Bun in the Oven" infers that you are the oven, and the baby is the bun. I beg to differ. The amount of body heat this little guy puts out is enough to cook an Italian style pizza in less than 3 minutes. Every since we got home, he's been clamoring for me to hold him (and I oblige), even though we're both sweaty messes...It makes me recall back when I was a kid, always wanting to get on my mother's lap, and my mother going "No, it's too hot!" I used to think "It's not that hot. I want to be held." and now I think that children simply have no concept of body heat transfer...not that a 6 week old baby would anyway...but...well, you get the point.
Regardless of the humidity, our downtown trip went well (as usual). He slept the entire time, and I bought some things I wanted - mainly more flannel fabric for my Grandmother to make me more receiving blankets. She made me probably 4 or 5 for my shower, and they are the best thing ever. All of the store bought receiving blankets are too small, and when we try to swaddle him in them, he kicks out of them almost immediately. With hers, we can wrap him up so tightly, he just tuckers himself out to sleep when he fights (hah!). I am so lucky to have a Grandmother who can sew...
There have been a considerable lack of blog posts lately...things have been rather tumultuous here. The Husband is swamped with getting ready for the conference this weekend, I have tons of homework and work work, our lawnmower, washer, and The Husband's cell phone all died within a week, among other things... Blogging and photography have taken secondary priority (obviously?).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Seraphina,
I love reading your posts. They are so funny. It is great you that are dealing with the trials of a new mother with so much humor and patience.If you have not thought of it already, you should create a book from these posts for Xavier.
Enjoy these times.
Ah, thanks so much! Ironically enough, the past few days I've been looking into Blog printing services and costs...I think I'm going to go with Blurb. Do you have any experience with it? Thanks so much for reading~
And I am loving his babyhood right now - I have to admit, I feel like as he gets older, it will only bring more antics...the fun is just beginning!
No, I do not have experience with Blurb or with Blog printing for that matter. I did not know that such a thing existed. They sound neat. I was thinking along the lines of copying your post to word and printing out the pages.
I just gave away my age, didn't I?
:)
I can't wait till I can romp around town with the little munchkin... it's only been 2 weeks but I am getting a little stir crazy. I can't imagine going anywhere right now though, we need to figure out this breastfeeding thing first. I am glad things are going so great. The co-sleeper is wonderful isn't? I can't imagine doing this without it.
Post a Comment