Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Parental Sacrifices and the Institutions that do not allow you to make them.

Our cell phone bill is very expensive, in part, because I have a data plan for my Blackberry. Now, if you know me at all, you should know that I am ridiculously addicted to said data plan - whether it's to look up reviews on a product on Amazon.com, check everyone's Facebook status, or perhaps because I saw a cluster of Tent Caterpillars and thought "Hey, I wanna Wikipedia that." (this occurred Monday actually). It's been indispensable resolving gnawing questions ("Who played in that movie?" "What year did that come out?"), checking e-mail from work and school to make sure I'm not missing any deadlines (this has saved me countless times), and nevermind how many times I've looked up things Xavier's doing to make sure he's not sick with some crazy disease (he isn't).

Now, I was at the point, when looking at this month's cell phone bill that I was ready to cut myself off. I was willing to make a Parental Sacrifice (you know, when YOU want something really, really, badly, but say instead "In lieu of having offspring, I will forgo my interests for that of my child!") so the family would save a chunk of money from paying for my tech obsessed hands.

However, our cell phone company had other plans. Unbeknown to us, apparently owning a Blackberry requires having a data plan. Additionally, if I did want to get a different phone, I would have to pay full price for the phone - not get it on some type of cheap renewal deal.

So, that all fell through. I'll still have my Blackberry, my data plan, and my ludicrous cell phone bill to pay each month. *sigh*

Today, I have work to do and homework to finish, but first I am going to go shopping and look for more shirts that I can shove down so that Xave can access food. I've determined that wrap style shirts work best, as I have a few shirts made for breastfeeding, but I'm not quite talented enough (nor is Xave neat enough) for them to be useful quite yet...he makes a mess out of us both. At least, when I just shove down my shirt, I can clean up all the excess with a burp cloth, and I have covers so we're not showing all the goods off to random strangers. It's just too hard right now to shove the baby UNDER my shirt. While I hunt for normal shirts to double as breastfeeding tops, The Husband and Xave are going to run around and have their first Boy's Day Out.

Then when I come home, I have work to do...ugh...

Wait, why wasn't I doing that now?

Oh yeah, because I'm a huge procrastinator.

Some things never change.

1 comment:

Laura said...

I have a blackberry and I took everything extra off of it. I don't even have internet on it. So it costs me the same amount every month as the hub's plain jane phone. So I think they are tricking you, or else you just have a different carrier and they have different rules. Also I found some pretty cool nursing tank tops at Target in their underwear section near the nursing bras. They are really comfortable and I think they will work great with button up shirts and things like that over them. You should check them out!