Friday, March 19, 2010

Salmon Cakes!

Well, I finally cranked out the blog post for our first day in Hawaii...almost a week later. Hopefully(?) by this time next week the entire trip will be up.

Now, some cooking blogging...

It is no secret, that I love-LOVE-salmon cakes. I always have, even when I was a little girl (although back then, I wanted it paired with Kraft Macaroni & Cheese).

Yesterday, I d
ecided to finally photo document how I enjoy them best now.

Salmon with Roasted Red Pepper Cakes
topped with Caramelized Red Onion

Makes approximately four servings.

Ingredients:

(Wet)
1 Large Egg
2 Sliced Roasted Red Peppers
1 tsp. Garlic
1 tsp. Parsley
1 Tbsp. Heavy Mayonnaise
1 tsp. Cracked Black Pepper
12 oz. Salmon

(Dry)
2.5 Cups Crushed Saltine Crakers*
0.5 Cup Toasted Sesame Seeds**

*I don't like using pre-packaged breadcrumbs for this, as I think crushing saltines gives it a better texture (since you can't crush them as fine). Also, the salt in the saltines ends up being the perfect amount, so you don't have to add any! (Seasoned breadcrumbs tend to overpower the salmon, and panko gives it a funny texture in the middle. I suppose just breading the cakes in panko would be okay, but stick with saltines for the filler.)

**The sesame seeds imparts it with a nice nutty flavor that compliments the salmon well in my opinion.

(Miscellany)
0.25 Red Onion - (julienne)
Olive Oil

  1. Mix together wet ingredients.
  2. Mix dry ingredients.
  3. Add 1 tsp. oil to skillet and heat to medium. Add red onion to the far sides of skillet.
  4. Gradually incorporate dry with wet until texture balls together (sticky, but not dry - nor wet). Keep remaining dry ingredients aside.
  5. Divide salmon mixture into balled quarters.
  6. Roll each quarter in remaining dry ingredients, slowly patting them down to approx. 1-2in. thick.
  7. Carefully flip onion slices, keeping them to the edges of the pan.
  8. Add an additional 1 tsp. of oil to skillet in center - allow oil to heat, then place two cakes in center. (The pan I was using wouldn't have accommodated four easily, plus, I wasn't going to cook them anyway, but refrigerate them in their current state for the next day. If you have a larger pan, I'm sure it would do fine - perhaps add another 1 tsp. oil.)
  9. When edges of cakes feel dry and firm, flip to allow browning on opposite side.
  10. Cakes are done when touching center of cake feels slightly firm.
  11. Plate with caramelized red onion on top as garnish.
I happened to serve mine with a side of fresh romaine and spinach salad, with a homemade balsamic vinaigrette reduction sauce (balsamic vinegar, olive oil, sugar, black pepper, touch of red wine vinegar reduced over low heat).

As I mentioned above, I didn't cook the other two cakes the same night, rather I wrapped them in plastic wrap, and saved them for today to make sandwiches for lunch:

It's practically the same exact thing, only between toasted ciabatta fresh from our local bakery.

...now it's time for the obligatory photo of Xave~

Wearing one of the goofy shirts we picked him up while in Hawaii.

No comments: