Saturday, March 27, 2010

Best Omelet I've Ever Made!

To begin with, I must thank (profusely) my dear Grandmother who taught me how to make an omelet to begin with. I'm sure taking an 8 year old and allowing her around a stove and cast iron skillet was quite trying on the nerves - but it taught me so much, and really reinforced the love for culinary delectables I have now.

[Side Note: The Husband cooked dinner yesterday. Check out him making a Lenten modified Pizza Pot Pie! Twas delicious!]

Spinach & Pancetta Omelet
with Gruyére and Port-Salut Cheese

First, I crisped some pancetta in my skillet over medium heat (which is the temperature you should keep the skillet at all times - too hot and it'll burn the outside, and not get the middle cooked later in the recipe).

Then I grated some Gruyére and Port-Salut cheese.

After the pancetta crisped, I wiped out the skillet gently with a paper towel, and tossed in a handful of fresh spinach.

After some of the water cooked out and the spinach looked slightly wilted (but not burnt and not so shriveled up you can't tell what it is), I poured in two whisked eggs (you can optionally add a little milk here, but I never care for it personally).

Allow the eggs to firm up until only the very top is still wet. At this point, add the grated cheeses evenly.

Layer the crisped pancetta to one side of the egg.

Turn over the "un-pancetta-ed" half onto the "pancetta-ed" half.

Serve.


Obligatory Baby Photo Time: Tuxedo Xave Drives a Car


"Aren't you guys gonna get in already?"

No comments: