Monday, March 1, 2010

Cooking: Korean!!

So, I've been cooking a lot more lately, and (quite amazingly) I've been able to photo document it as well!

I've been on a 구이 (gui) kick lately! (Last week, I cooked 생선구이 [saengseon gui: grilled fish - I happened to make it with flounder] and spicy stir fried cabbage.)

Today, I am making 새우구이 [saeu gui: grilled shrimp] and pretty much the same stir fried cabbage...

First off, is the sauce. It wouldn't be Korean if it wasn't spicy!

Fresh red chili peppers!

The marinade/sauce is composed of
  • 2 Sliced Red Chili Peppers
  • 3 Parts Soy Sauce
  • 1 Part Mirin
  • 2 Parts Hot Sesame Oil
  • 3 tbs. Garlic
  • 2 inches of Fresh Grated Garlic
  • 2 Scallions chopped
  • Sesame Seeds
  • 3 tbs. Korean chili powder (a mix of cayenne pepper and paprika)
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • Black Pepper to taste
It should look something like this:


I bought for myself a pound of 16-20lb IQF shrimp (there ended up being about 22). I don't like precooked shrimp, because if you're going to cook them again, well...they're over cooked! Pre-deveined shrimp still have bits and pieces lodged inside, so I still end up taking just as much time to clean them as I would shell on IQF shrimp...and I think I do a better job anyway.

Mmmm....so pretty!

I let them thaw, and went forth with the messy task of deveining them - because, let's face it, nobody wants to eat digestion tract.






It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!

Now, look how nice they are!

Shelled, cleaned, washed, and ready to go!

Now it's time for them to go in the marinade:

And be covered and refrigerated!

I have high hopes for these little guys...



*insert obligitory photo of baby here, since that's why 90% of people read this blog*

Xave, watching me blog.

No comments: