Tuesday, March 31, 2009

My Daily Grind is a smooth cup of coffee.

So, due to the lack anything particularly noteworthy occurring today, I decided that I would talk a little about my (desk) job. I make the distinction because I currently have more than one occupation, but the others are contracted work and not steady. When something comes up with one of them, perhaps I'll discuss it. However, it's for a later time.

To begin with, I work as a Graphic Designer. My work includes making conference posters, miscellaneous signs and posters, and putting together different types of documents for presentation. I also am in charge of updating (and eventually doing a redesign) of our current website. In between these main tasks I pull data tables for ArcGIS, teach myself Adobe products, and partake in the construction of office Gum Towers (pictured). An added perk is that I have no set schedule. I work when I need to, and, should something come up, it's as simple as sending a text message saying that I won't be in. This is not to say that I don't have the occasional staff meeting to attend or project deadline - however, for the most part, work is on a pretty flexible schedule.

My cubicle:You will notice (if you enlarge the picture), that certain items are lettered.
A. Magic Wand - This was given to me from a supervisor of mine while I was working on her poster for a conference. She explained that someone had given it to her so she could "do the impossible". The poster proved to be quite trying sometimes, so she gave it to me saying that when she asked me to do the impossible I had the tools.
B. Coffee Mug - Due to my pregnancy, this has turned into a pen cup.
C. My Laptop - Usually my Gmail is here, along with Digsby running in the background. I also use Synergy, although at the moment I am waiting for our IT guy to set back up permissions for me to use it on our server.
D. Bose Headphones - Only used occassionally when feeling particularly productive and/or irritated.
E. Random Pile of Papers - Documentation, instruction sheets, To Do lists, etc...
F. Blackberry - My phone which goes off at least once every five minutes.
G. Desktop - Usually running several different programs for several different jobs. (Yes, that's World 1-1 dual monitor wallpaper.)
H. 過労死 - Office humor.
I. Wacom Tablet - I'd die without it, but most everyone else in the office can't use the mouse...thus tucked back away is an old school mechanical ball mouse for when others have to use my computer.

I must admit, I have never had more satisfaction at the workplace. Everyone I work with, be it a co-worker or supervisor, is friendly and warm, and my work is interesting and diverse.

Job Satisfaction: 10/10

No comments: