Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tumult.

A friend and I were commenting (via Facebook) on how the word 'tumult' is so fabulous, yet, when it is present in our lives, leans more on the unenjoyable side of things.

Things are very hectic and stressful for us right now, but I have faith that "this too shall pass"...as cliché as it may be.

Last Saturday's trip to Pittsburgh was wonderful. Here are some highlights:

First, my husband and I were remarking that Pittsburgh is either exceedingly ugly and depressing or a very beautiful city. This stark contrast is entirely contingent on that day's weather. Most generally speaking, it is the former as Pittsburgh gets a lot of rainy, overcast, and most generally dreary days. However, we managed stumble upon an elusive "pretty day"!

One of the highlights of Pittsburgh is it's entry into the city. I compiled this .gif animation (why hello 1992!) from the pictures I took trying to show how very cool it is.


So basically, you're in a real rural part of Pittsburgh with nothing but greenery (and highway) around you) and suddenly you POP! into the city. I have always been amazed by this, and continue to be. I can't wait to show this to my kids...I just might have to sit in the back seat with them to see their expression better!

We parked downtown (a couple blocks from the Cathedral of Learning on the Pitt campus) and then hurried off to the Pittsburgh Cathedral so my husband could go to confession. Interestingly enough, there was a wedding going on simultaneously. The wedding had 3 Priests, and the Bishop of the Pittsburgh diocese presiding! I was curious what kind of clout the family had to arrange that.
Beautiful Organ!
Tabernacle Baptismal Font
The Main Altar
On this side, a wedding!
To the right, confession!

We then walked a few more blocks away to Phipps. We remarked on how much more fun the conservatory was for us because we had a fancy camera...to say it kept us entertained would be an understatement! The food at the cafe was very good as well...my husband had some falafel (yuck!) and I ate a mushroom quesadilla...homemade sea salt chips weren't anything to complain about either!





There was a mom with about 5 kids (varying in ages from about 6 to 16) that was in front of us, and was walking back to their parking garage in the same direction when we left. Here's vague transcription of the dialogue that she began:
Woman: "You look so cute!!"
Me: (Laughing) "Thank you, very much!"
Woman: "You're having a boy, right?"
Me: "Yup!"
Small girl with Woman: "How did you know she was having a boy?!"
Woman: "You see how small her butt is honey, but how it looks like there's a basketball under her dress? That's how I knew for certain it was a boy!"
Oh how amusing my husband and I found this to be.

I was pretty exhausted by the end of the day. I approximated that we walked close to five miles after all was said and done.

Yesterday, was my first birth class. We went with another couple (friends of ours) and we all felt generally the same. Most generally, it was a rehash of everything we've read, but it's kind of relieving to know I can ask questions about pregnancy/giving birth if you need to. You can't really ask a book a question and just having that option open alleviates a lot of pressure and stress. Oh, and birth is disgusting and looks exceedingly uncomfortable. None of us were fans of the "birth video". All of us wanted to run to the bathroom. I don't care how you sugar coat it, birth is not pretty/attractive/heart warming. The baby is all of these things...but birth is most assuredly not.

I'm starting to get third trimester ailments now...I'm getting increasingly tired (again), my digestive system is all out of whack (again), and my stomach is getting sore (again). My friend told me she read in one of her books that "everything you suffered from in the first trimester, expect it again in the third...only worse". This is appearing to be rather true. In regards to digestion, I'm trying to force myself to eat smaller, but more frequent, meals. This is harder for me to do than I had expected...I have a rather gluttonous appetite unfortunately. I may be small, but I LOVE TO EAT. I'm going to make a post about my love of food later...

3 comments:

~Joseph the Worker said...

The car we were following through the tunnel in the Gif looks like it is from 1992 as well..

Gina said...

Ohh...I remember the very worst thing about the third trimester...not the bedrest I was put on, but the difficulty eating. I love to eat too, and I shared your pain. Not too much longer!

sarahbais said...

Ah, I'm so glad I haven't been put on bed rest (yet)! Here's hoping I don't! I think it'd go stir crazy!!

Less than three months now...I can't wait! Ah the anxiety is killing me!!!