I can't really pin down where I got my extreme love of food, especially overpriced culinary food. I was a pretty picky (and quirky) eater as a child. If you would have asked 7 year-old Sarah what her favorite foods were it probably consisted of "SpaghettiOs, SPAM, Kraft Macaroni and Cheese with kielbasa, and chicken skin". Admittedly, that list still applies to things I love to eat (I always have a can of SpaghettiO's in my cabinet) but if you asked me my favorite foods now it would probably consist of Duck a L'orange, Rack of Lamb, Otoro Sashimi, and Morel Mushrooms. I've gotten to the point where I'll try almost anything unless it has fennel. I hate fennel. NOTHING IN THIS WORLD WILL MAKE ME LIKE SOMETHING WITH FENNEL SEASONING IT.
Regardless, my husband shares my love for indulging our foodie appetite. This, unfortunately, doesn't always translate into elaborate meals at home, but rather consistent eating at restaurants...many of which are a bit out of our general income range. Now, we do have the opinion that we splurge on food whereas others might be frivolous elsewhere in their budget...however, as of late, we noticed a severe lack of this thing called "money", in that so called "bank account".
Wondering where all of this modern bartering chip had gone, I did a break down of last months expenses...I was shocked to say the least. So, being stricken full on with nesting syndrome, I translated this into the idea that we should start a budget. Three specific ones to be exact. Two for our respective frivolous spending (such as eating out with co-workers, personal items, etc...) and one for our joint spending at eateries. Being a bit of a technophile, I mulled over the desire of having some type of web application to do all the dirty work for me...for me to simply be able to text the amount of money I was spending, and a big server in the sky to tell me when I was allowed to spend no further. However, I am a computer based designer...not a programmer.
I went to bed, dreaming of knowing the code and Boolean algorithms to build such a dream. Unbeknownst to me however, it had already been created.
Enter Buxfer. It let's me set up budgets, text it amounts I'm spending, sends me notices of what the balance on premade budgets are, and even throws in some nifty graphs just for show. It's everything I wanted to be able to program and more.
I'll keep you posted on if the works or not...but I have a hard time thinking that it won't help...as long as we don't get lazy or start cheating.
No comments:
Post a Comment