Sunday, October 9, 2011

Photos and a never ending container of chicken...

First off, a few more photos...some of which are from back when we were still in the hospital...

Xavier getting to 'hold' the baby for the first time!

My grandmother and Joseph.

Headed home!




First real (as in non-sponge) bath.



This is what our mornings look like at the moment.  After breakfast (usually with everyone still in their pajamas) we pile back onto the bed, and I'll read, or Xavier and will imagine riding on the PRT, or something of that variety.

Last Thursday, we went Pumpkin Painting with my friend Lynn, and her son Jay. 
Ready for church this morning - Joseph and Xavier have the same shirt on (albeit in different colors and, obviously, sizes).



------------------------------------ 
During my second week home, when my mother was over, I set aside an entire day to make freezer meals so if I were to have a day when I didn't have time to prep anything, I could easily throw something together.  This is the story of one of those meals.

I started with the container with the green lid on the left - it was shredded chicken and homemade stock from where I had boiled down a chicken prepping my freezer meals.  It was the "leftovers" from the boiling pot so to speak, and I had made two containers of it for chicken and dumplings.  

I made, and we ate, chicken and dumplings, and the LEFTOVERS, are what are in the container on the right!  How on earth this small amount of chicken and stock multiplied to this extent is beyond me...What was left was the consistency of creamed (sans cream!*) chicken (with peas and carrots in it).

*The way I made the chicken and dumplings was via cheating with bisquick, so the broth thickened up when boiling.  

To the left, what I started with.  To the right, what we ended up with AFTER eating off of it for a meal.
 For meal two of the never ending chicken, I decided to make a casserole.  I used homemade mashed potatoes (from the day's previous meal of beef roast and carrots) as the base, layered on about half of my creamed chicken, and topped it with a biscuit style crust.


Today, we finished the never ending chicken - with yet more leftover mashed potatoes.  I made potato cakes, warmed up the faux creamed chicken, and served it on top.

I still had to throw some out.

This is a positive thing!  One small container of chicken and stock produced three different (well, sort of different) meals.

No comments: