Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I really don't get people who LOVE pregnancy.

Today, while at home, I worked my tail off on getting the house clean.  It felt both great and frustrating.  Great, in that "Hooray, my house is clean!" way, and frustrating in the aggravation that every little piece of plastic food I had to pick up required me to bend over and...well, pick it up.

I was discussing with a Xave's Godmother last night (who is expecting as well...she is a month ahead of me again!) that I should blog about how NOT FUN pregnancy is to remind myself in the future, that really...these last few months are awkward, uncomfortable, and full of insomnia, organ poking, back aches, and heartburn.  Don't read me wrong - I'm not regretting my pregnancy, I do not wish that I wasn't pregnant, or anything of that realm...I just don't...enjoy it like some women do.  I'm not even the kind of person who would say that I "hate" being pregnant.  I don't "revel" in pregnancy, nor do I feel radiant being the size and proportion of a bear cub.  I am short, this is uncomfortable, and the disgusting heat wave we recently had was just about the last straw.

Then again, I'm a means to an ends kind of girl (in certain situations), and the idea of holding another little baby in my arms and getting to nurse again is WELL WELL worth it.

Xave continues to increase his capacity in multiple ways that just floor me sometimes.  I feel confident enough that I would say that yes, he knows his colors (Yay!  I was shooting for this before two!  We made it!) and for the last week we have been wearing regular cotton briefs around the house.  The first day of underwear was 75/25 (meaning half the time he told me he had to go, the other half was he started to go but then stopped until we got to the toilet) and the past three or so days we have had zero accidents...including waking up dry from naps and bedtime (although we are wearing pull ups then, just in case).  I am very proud of Xavier, and am hesitant to take any credit for him being this potty trained at two - after all, all I did was follow his lead.  I didn't do treats or rewards and I certainly didn't push or pressure him to do it.  He was just ready, and I am just lucky.  (And don't worry, I don't have any false pretenses about this being done and over with - I have read plenty on regression occurring when the second child arrives.  I am just going to take it as it is...if we have to go back to wet diapers, so be it for a while...if we go back to poopy diapers...well...I just MIGHT start bribing with fruit snacks or something.)

Cognitively, Xavier can mimic about 75-85% of anything I say (within about 6 syllables) and is starting to form together very basic fragments and occasional sentences.  He even apologized to our dog Princess for slamming the door on her paw..albeit about 4 hours later (with a very random "I'm sorry Princess!!" while he was with Daddy on the bed...it took us a few minutes to figure out why he was so upset!!)

Regarding Joseph, I think the only things we really need to get now to prepare for his arrival are a crib and a baby monitor...then we'll be set!  :)

1 comment:

Courtney Ostaff said...

I didn't know enough to know I had a really difficult pregnancy. I threw up so much and so hard you could hear it outside the house! ;)

But my hormones were blissful. It was fantastic! Plus, my hubby was great about not stressing me out ('cause the baby would be stressed, right? ;)

OTOH, the minute she slid out, I felt awesome! I didn't even need any pain medicine. ;)