Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Baby Thoughts

I have to admit, there are a few things I wanted to document about pregnancy for future reference, and those who are/will be pregnant.

  • Invest in a long handled back brush. By the time your stomach expands to the point of no longer being able to see once easily visible places on your body, you will also have to go to great lengths to reach them to wash.

  • Don't freak yourself out over the occasional cup of coffee. It's not the end of the world, and it's not you being a terrible mother to your unborn baby. It's more stressful when you can't stay awake to do work and have deadlines (and therefore probably does more harm)!

  • Although "studies have shown" that babies that hear music in the womb are more likely have higher IQ's, I think their causality is wrong. It's more likely that their parents were so concerned about their child's education and were wiling to be involved in cultivating their mind. I have not invested in an extra set of headphones for my expanding stomach, nor will I, as I intend to educate my children well but not be sucked into gimmicks.

  • Read Amazon.com reviews, but don't get too panicked when there are conflicting opinions. Different things work for different people. Although we are all consumers, we are all individuals with different circumstances and different needs.

  • Buy "What to Expect when You're Expecting" but don't read it like your favorite fiction novel - it'll just scare you. Instead, refer to it when you have a question, and stay within the realm of the current month you're in. Plopping yourself down in front of this book will do nothing but scare you since it's pretty much everything that can go wrong.

I'm sure there will be more of these...but these are just for today.

Edit:
Oops, I got my first blog award from Laura and didn't even post it!


My new role of Queen of Awe-Summm requires me to list 7 things that make me "Awe-Summ!!!".

7 Things that make me Awe-Summ!!!
I am an awesome cook.
I am a fast learner.
I know how to get things done by their deadline.
I can evaluate a situation critically.
I am honest about my opinions of your hair/attire/personality/etc...
I am good at public speaking/oration (and LOVE it actually).
I can find a good deal on just about anything.
I am tagging Ranae at Tom Foolery for this as well!

2 comments:

Laura said...

I agree on the book "What to Expect when Expecting". I opened it one time and it scared the crap out of me. I haven't touched it since! And in the morning I have been making my cup of coffee 3/4 decaff and topping it off with regular. It has been helping me stay awake and it pretty much tastes the same.

sarahbais said...

I bought "What to Expect when You're Expecting" not long after my husband and I got married (about 4 years ago). I found, that whenever I was thinking about having kids, I'd just open it up to a random page, read, and I was cured of the baby bug! Hahaha! I think it's nice to have in case I have any questions, but it is kind of overwhelming!